Tuesday, January 5

Pizza

We have been trying to make homemade pizza for over a year now and finally we are beginning to really like it. My wonderful hubby bought me a large round pizza stone and a huge pizza peel for Christmas. I love it! He also bought me a huge dough mat for the counter and I was also thrilled to get it.


It seems that the key to making good pizza is heating the stone in the oven on 500 degrees for an hour. The peel helps be able to get the pizza onto the hot stone quickly and the stone doesn't lose heat. When the dough hits the stone it will start cooking immediately. I think next time I am going to try and cook the dough for a few minutes and then add the toppings. It is definitely a process and we are always learning on how to improve.





The pizza above has sausage, onions and bell peppers.


Our favorite is bbq chicken pizza using Sweet Baby Ray's Bbq sauce, purple onions, cliantro, chicken and mozzerella cheese.

5 comments:

Monty and Mari Beth said...

You have really perfected the pizza crust! This is some good stuff... my problem is I eat too much. Monty

Monty and Mari Beth said...

Thanks! Eating too much is my problem too!

Mari Beth

Abby said...

Mmmmm! I want some now! :)

Abby

Tina said...

That looks good! I've never heard of a pizza peel - please fill me in. :) I love any kind of pizza - homemade included. (Not everyone in my household is quite onto the homemade...yet.) :) I've been looking for a good crust recipe. The one we like best is from urban homemaker. It suggests preheating the stone (which I didn't do - maybe I should). :) It also has me cook the crust for a few minutes before topping it and finishing it. Didn't do that the first time but did the second and it turned out better. I'll have to try actually following the directions and preheating the stone to see if it gets even better. (You inspired me today - yeah you.) :)
Let Kendall know that we were thinking of you all last night as we watched Boise State play. :)
Miss you all!
Love,
Tina

Unknown said...

Mari Beth, if you want I can teach you how to toss the crust like they do at the pizzarias. I used to work for Flying Pie. :) (just discovered your blog tonight lol, I know this post is a few months old).
Mary

Dasher

Dasher