Friday, December 18

Bob's Sweet Stripes

Every Christmas morning we would drive to my mom's parents house in Savannah, Tennessee. It would take us about two hours to drive. We would get up very early and open our presents and then go to their house. Of course there was always lots of food to eat and we would see many aunts, uncles and cousins who lived in the same town. I always remember eating soft peppermint sticks at their house. Sometimes we would stick them in an orange and try to suck the juice out with the peppermint stick. This year I bought a huge container of Bob's Sweet Stripes. When I see the jar filled with them or suck (I usually just chew them because I am too impatient) them I am reminded of my Mamaw and Papaw and all the wonderful memories we shared together. What Christmas memories/traditions do you have?

4 comments:

Terri said...

Mari Beth,

I just wanted to pop over here and say thank you for visiting my blog and your kind comments on my post about Nathan!

Isn't it interesting how certain smells or tastes can take us right back to our childhoods?

I hope you have a blessed Christmas!

Terri

Terri said...

Too funny!!! I didn't realize who you were until I saw your link to CHF on your sidebar! :-)

I love your blog!

Tina said...

I would say that, growing up, using an advent wreath was always a very special part of our celebration. (One that we've continued with our kids - so I guess it's not just growing up.)

We also had a long strip of fabric that had hershey kisses on it. We got to eat one each day until Christmas Eve. That was fun. (I had my mom make one for my kids but they don't seem to think it's quite as cool as I did.) :)

Since we've had kids, we've always tried to see both sides of the family on Christmas. A very busy time that I was frustrated about until I the girls told me that "seeing all the family in one day" was one of their favorite parts of Christmas. I needed that change in perspective and now love that too.

Thanks for sharing your sweet story.

I'm loving all your posts.

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas! Miss you!

Monty and Mari Beth said...

Terri,
That is too funny about you not realizing who I was. It can be so hard for me to keep up with people on the internet that I have never met.

Thanks for reading my blog. It really isn't much and I am not so good at posting very often but I am trying to be more consistent.

I really enjoy your blog and feel like I know you even though we've never met.

I hope you also have a blessed Christmas!

Mari Beth

Dasher

Dasher